Vacancy Announcement – Communication Officer
About Welthungerhilfe India
Welthungerhilfe, originally founded in the sixties as the National Committee of the FAO Freedom from Hunger Campaign and earlier called “German Agro Action”, is a secular, non-profit organization working in the field of international development cooperation and emergency aid. Welthungerhilfe’s patron is the President of the federal Republic of Germany. Welthungerhilfe is dedicated to food security and the eradication of root causes of poverty. For over 55 years, Welthungerhilfe supports voluntary and civil society partner organizations in rural India. (www.welthungerhilfesouthasia.org)
Position Title: Communications Officer
Term: 2 Years (renewable)
Duty Station: New Delhi
Salary: Salary Group 6 (Annual package 12 lakhs)
Objectives of the position:
The Communications Officer will mainly support the India country program and will report to the Country Director. Contributions are also expected to specific project/s.
With guidance from the Country Director and in close coordination with the rest of the team, the Communications Officer will be responsible for:
- Enhancing the position of Welthungerhilfe as an important player on food and nutrition security in India
- Strengthening the communications strategy and producing/ supporting high-quality PR material
- Successful fund-raising, and specifically managing relationships with key donors, including donors from the Government, the corporate sector, foundations and philanthropists.
Duties and areas of responsibility
Communication & PR
- Implements and improves the current communications strategy.
- Supports and ensures quality of publications and reports.
- Procures and manages consultancies engaged in communications related work, including contracts and finance.
- Holds responsibility for producing the annual report and for maintaining the website and social media channels of Welthungerhilfe India.
- Supports the Country Director in press-related work, i.e. press releases, press conferences etc.
- Coordinates with the press desk at HQ level on a regular basis.
- Develops and maintains relationships with journalists and other media contacts, and facilitates journalist visits to the projects
- Maintains a contact database, mailing lists, photo archives, and a calendar of PR events
- Regularly updates country office and project information on Welthungerhilfe intranet
- Coordinates with the marketing department at HQ level and provides regular contributions from the projects for fundraising purposes
- Identifies national and international donors in India and maintains the relationship
- Facilitates the visits of public and private donors to projects
- Documents significant country level meetings and workshops, assists in organizing such events and bring out publications as and when necessary.
- Reviews publication material being produced within the country.
- Provides editorial support to colleagues, specifically for selected articles and case studies, presentations, background notes, concept papers, training modules and reports.
Support to partners
- Provides necessary support to project partners on developing IEC material.
- Provides a helping hand to project coordinators on project documentation.
- Builds and maintains an image library with images from projects with proper labelling.
- Be part of emergency strategic teams as per need.
- Supports the project staff in organizing seminars, meetings and workshops.
Any other related tasks assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
The Communications Officer will have the following essential qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree in communication, journalism, marketing or related field with training and / or experience in areas related to food and nutrition security, or vice versa;
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in communications work, preferably in a multicultural environment;
- A self-driven worker possessing an ability to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Fully conversant with use of new technology for communications and outreach, including the web, multimedia tools and social media;
- Experience of engaging with the mainstream media.
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills, pleasant personality;
- Excellent communications skills in English (spoken and written), and preferably also in Hindi;
- Ability to effectively interact with people at all levels in a multi‐cultural and multi disciplinary environment;
- Respectful, honest, and understanding of the diversity of staff;
- Values sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
Starting date: Earliest
Last date of application: August 29, 2021
Interested candidates need to apply by using our online recruitment system by following the below link:
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.